Situated north and south of Gerzeh were several burial grounds from various periods. From the end of 1912 and for the following four months, one of Petrie’s trusted assistants, Reginald Engelbach, worked here. He chose to call the area with the cemeteries Riqqeh after a nearby village with a railway station, and he assigned each cemetery a letter, A-G. The largest and richest tombs in Riqqeh were found in Cemetery A.
Excavations at Riqqeh
The bedrock under Cemetery A was best suited to the cutting of tomb shafts and burial chambers. The rich tombs here had been looted by grave-robbers, but there were still discoveries to be made. With the help of the remaining finds Engelbach dated the plundered tombs to the Middle Kingdom, c. 1950-1800 BC. The Glyptotek was given a set of four jars for the preservation of internal organs (Canopic jars) [evt. link til ’Egypten’ om mumier og dødetro]) from one of the tombs. The name of the owner of the grave was inscribed on three of the jars as Nebsen, but as Sesostris on the fourth. This suggests therefore that something untoward happened at the burial, or in connection with the subsequent tomb-robberies.