The Gayer-Anderson cat is a sacred cat sculpture from the late period in ancient Egypt. It wears gold earrings and a gold nose ring. The breastplate in silver is decorated with the holy eye of the god Horus, beneath which is an ornamental scarab. The cat represents the goddess Bastet and is named after Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, who donated the cat to the British Museum in 1939.
Cats were highly revered in ancient Egypt and were often found in temples as Bastet’s representative.
Original material: bronze